Today is Earth Day, a reminder that how we live, and the choices we make, has an impact on the health of our families, communities and our planet. We’re also reminded that each and every one of us can work toward sustainability goals that reduce our individual and collective carbon footprint.
One of the most enlightening observations that transpired because of this past years pandemic is that with the industrialized world on hold, it gave the planet a chance to breath and for us humans to see what could be. Even a small break from human activity can show the resilience of nature is very high. Many of the plants and animals can come back and will produce a healthier environment that will detonate positive changes.
In the past several years, The Cuyahoga Group has introduced company-wide policies that support earth-friendly and sustainable processes and programs. Some of our most recent advancements in implementing sustainable, green practices include:
- Redesign of Driver Delivery Routes: New software programs utilized to increase efficiency and decrease drive time in delivery routes, which decreases gas consumption and further reduces emissions of carbon dioxide.
- Reduction of Food Waste: Combined efforts of software implementation and corporate-wide standards for monitoring food waste has provided a nearly 30% reduction of food waste in the past year.
- Purchasing: We utilize a program called “Imperfect Produce.” This includes produce that may have a slight indentation and cannot be sold for retail, thereby reducing waste from local farmers.
- Automation-Accountability: Implementing software that reduces waste across each product category by identifying low-selling items; this also helps customize menus and product choices for customers.
- Paper Recycle: All paper products from all Cuyahoga Group warehouses, offices and culinary center are outsourced for recycling.
- Cardboard Recycle: We purchases a vertical card board compactor which allows for recycling by an outsourced company.
- LED Lighting: Our new vending machines and market refrigerators include LED lighting, designed to increase efficiency and conserve energy, which supports lessening our carbon footprint.
- Locally-Sourced Produce: Whenever possible, we purchase locally-grown produce from local farmers, which helps support a sustainable, ‘green’ community.
- Organic and Fair-Trade Coffee Products: Many of our coffee selections are certified organic and certified Fair-Trade brands, which supports family growers, communities and the environment.
Whether in our individual lives or our work, all efforts can make a difference in supporting the overall health and wellbeing of our cities, towns and planet.