January 10th is designated as National Cut Your Energy Costs Day. At home or at work, reducing energy use not only reduces costs, it also lessens our carbon footprint, which supports the health of our planet.
Join the Cuyahoga Group to Reduce, Recycle & Renew
In the past several years, The Cuyahoga Group has introduced company-wide policies that support earth-friendly and sustainable programs and outcomes.
From cardboard recycling, to reducing fresh food waste, to implementing LED lighting in our vending and market units, The Cuyahoga Group continues to make advances on being part of earth-friendly practices and solutions. Some of our most recent advancements in implementing sustainable, green practices include:
- Redesign of Driver Delivery Routes: New software programs that increase efficiency and decrease drive time in delivery routes, which decreases gas consumption to further reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
- Reduction of Food Waste: Combined efforts of software implementation and corporate-wide standards for monitoring food waste has provided a nearly 30% reduction of food waste in the past year.
- Purchasing: We utilize a program called “Imperfect Produce.” This includes produce that may have a slight indentation and cannot be sold for retail, thereby reducing waste from local farmers.
- Automation-Accountability: Implementing software that reduces waste across each product category by identifying low-selling items; this helps customize menus and product choices for customers while reducing food waste.
- Paper Recycle: All paper products from all Cuyahoga Group warehouses, offices and culinary center are outsourced for recycling.
- Cardboard Recycle: We purchases a vertical card board compactor which allows for recycling by an outsourced company.
- LED Lighting: Our new vending machines and market refrigerators include LED lighting, designed to increase efficiency and conserve energy, which supports lessening our carbon footprint.
- Locally-Sourced Produce: Whenever possible, we purchase locally-grown produce from local farmers, which helps support a sustainable, ‘green’ community.
- Organic and Fair-Trade Coffee Products: Many of our coffee selections are certified organic and certified Fair-Trade brands, which supports family growers, communities and the environment.
Our Customers also focus on a Healthier Planet
We’re proud to partner with planet-conscious customers like Nestle Corporation. In studying food trends that coincide with Nestle’s passion about the environment, they’ve implemented a Sustainable Food Policy Alliance, which brings plant-based, planet-healthy foods to customers: products that are healthy for humans and for the planet. Click here to read more about the many ways that Nestle is making on a large scale, including a 100% recycled packaging goal by 2025.
We can ALL Make a Difference!
In this new year, we can all commit to make changes, whether at home or at work, that reduce our carbon footprint and support the health of our planet. For some quick and easy ways that you can make a difference in supporting planet-friendly initiatives, click here.